The Ancient Parish of ROSSINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ROSSINGTON, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, soke of Doncaster; (the seat of the Rev. James Stovin, D.D.) 6 miles SE. of Doncaster; 5½ from Bawtry, 42 from York. Pop. 383. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £11. 1s. 5½d. Patrons, the Mayor and Burgesses of Doncaster.
The Manor of Doncaster, with an estate of 2,000 acres of land, belongs to the Corporation, who, some time back, built twelve Alms Houses for the aged of both sexes.
In the church yard, was a stone, the two ends of which are now remaining, where was interred the body of James Bosvill the King of the Gypsies, who died January 30, 1708. For a number of years, it was a custom of Gypsies from the south, to visit his tomb annually, and there perform some of their accustomed rites; one of which was to pour a flagon of ale upon the grave. --Miller's History of Doncaster.
Here is a Free School, founded as early as 1652."
"HESLEY, a single house in the township and parish of Rossington; 3½ miles from Bawtry, 6½ from Doncaster."
"ROSSINGTON BRIDGE, an inn, in the township and parish of Rossington; 4½ miles SE. of Doncaster and 4½ from Bawtry."
"SHOOTERS HILL, (the seat of J.C. Hilton, Esq.) in the township and parish of Rossington; 3¼ miles from Bawtry; 6¼ from Doncaster."
- Transcript of the entry for Rossington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Rossington.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rossington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK625985 (Lat/Lon: 53.479522, -1.059715), Rossington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SK627985) Littleworth
- (SK615980) New Rossington
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.