Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llangeitho

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Llangeitho

Primary tabs

"LLANGEITHO (LLAN-GEITHO), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of PENARTH, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 1/2 miles (N. by E.) from Lampeter, containing 377 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on the river Aêron by which it is bounded on the south, and comprehends an extensive tract of country, abounding with richly diversified scenery, combining almost every variety of rural and picturesque beauty. The village is sheltered nearly on all sides by hills of varied aspect, of which the declivities and summits are in some parts richly clothed with wood of luxuriant growth,and in others covered with verdure; and that part of it which is not shut in by the surrounding hills commands a fine prospect of the beautiful Vale of the Aeron...."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]

topup

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llangeithio Parish Church "Many of the hearers are obliged to stand, not having an adequate number of sittings ....." Thomas Edwardes, Rector

    Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

    • St Ceitho
    • Incumbent and Curates; D Richards
    • Rural Deanery of Ultra Aeron
    • Acreage 4,138 ; Population 322

      St Ceitho church - photograph on Dyfed FHS

        Daniel Rowland - on Wikipedia

        Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

        • Black and White photograph showing St Ceitho's church, Llangeitho.
        • Colour transparency showing Capel Gwynfil, Llangeitho, produced by Iain Wright, 2004

        Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

        • Llangeitho Friendly Society Records "Records of the Society (otherwise known as the United Society of the late Reverend Daniel Rowland (1713-1790)) from its establishment in 1827 to its dissolution in 1937"

        Evans, E. Daniel Rowland and the Great Evangelical Awakening in Wales. Edinburgh, Banner of Truth, 1985

        Jones, ED. Hen lyfrau o Langeitho. Cylch. Cymd. Hanes Meth. Calf. Cymru, Vol XXX

        Morgan, Derec Llwyd. Daniel Rowland (?1711-1790) (NLW's site) Ceredigion XI

        Owen, John, d. 1867. A memoir of the Rev. Daniel Rowlands, late of Llangeitho,Cardiganshire. London : 1840, with an introduction containing a brief account of the chief supporters of religion in Wales, from the Reformation to the beginning of this century.

        topup

        Church Records

        See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page

        Parish Register;
        Baptisms 1769-1950. Marriages 1761, 1770-1971. Burials 1769-1986 NLW/Cer.RO
        Copy manuscripts PR C 1769-1832 M 1761-1812 B 1769-1812 NLW and ts PR M 1761-1837 with index NLW/Cer.RO
        Bishops Transcripts;
        1811, 1813-35, 1840-1, 1846-8, 1852-8, 1860-79, 1882, 1885-8 NLW

        See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

        I.G.I; Baptisms 1811-1869

        Nonconformist Chapels;

        See Llanddewibrefi parish for details of Capel Gwynfil

        Pen Uwch Welsh CM chapel

        • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans. Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

        Cwrt Mawr CM Sunday school

          topup

          Description and Travel

          The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

          • Area 2150 acres; Population 219 males, 223 females, total 442

          Places, villages, farms etc within Llangeitho as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)

          • Llangeitho (40); Bryn cethin, Caerllugest, Cil-rhyg, Cwm-gwenyn, Cwrt-mawr, Llangeitho, Lluest-y-broga, Maes-rhyg, Parcau-gwynion, Pen forial, Saw Mill, Ty'n-y-clawdd,

              Description of the parish of Llangeitho from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

              Kelly's Directory South Wales 1895

              Llangeitho - on Wikipedia

              Various items .- on the People's Collection Wales site

              • Black and White photograph showing Llangeitho village
              • Various landscapes 

              You can see pictures of Llangeitho which are provided by:

              topup

              Gazetteers

              The transcription of the section for Llangeitho from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

              Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangeitho to another place.

              Click here for a list of nearby places.

              topup

              Genealogy

              Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

              • Morgan family of Parcrhydderch, Llangeitho c 1885
              • Davies Family Tree Of Cwrtmawr Llangeitho Cards.
              • Bet Fach, Llangeitho, 92 years of age, c. 1885

              Worthington, Parch D. Cofiant y Parch Daniel Rowland, Llangeitho. Carmarthen: 1923. People and places, includes a pedigree of the Rowlandses of Nantcwnlle and Llangeitho.

              Davies, Peter. Cwrt Mawr in the C19 in the parish of Llangeitho. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 7, no 1, Apr/2000. The article includes a family tree of the Davies family of Cwrt Mawr.

              Thomas, Rev Geoffrey Brynmor. The Williams Family of Dolau Aeron. Cardiganshire FHS journal vol3/5 June 2003. And vol 3/6 October 2003

              topup

              Historical Geography

              You can see the administrative areas in which Llangeitho has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

              topup

              History

              Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush.(1783-1848) The History and Antiquities of the county of Cardigan. Collected from the few remaining documents which have escaped the ravages of time, as well as from actual observation. Longman: London ,1810. The history and antiquities of the County of Cardigan ... to which are now added a parliamentary history, list of High Sheriffs, some notes on the present county families, &c., &c. repr. Brecon: 1907. This 1907 print has now been reprinted. The section relating to this parish is on pages 254/5; "the church appears to have been once a place of some consequence... but the Calvinistic disciples seem to have had influence enough to deprive it of the greatest portion of its population and it ..... has gone to decay." The last 4 incumbents were 1731 Rev Daniel Rowlands, 1760 Rev John Rowlands, 1770 Rev Daniel Rowlandss, 1790 Rev John Rowlands. Mentioned are Glyn Aeron and Court Mawr farm-houses.

              Williams, P . Hanes Llangeitho a'i hamgylchoedd, etc. Aberystwyth, 1859

              Postcard showing Llangeitho Hiring Fair November 13th 1905. Commerce House in background. Photograph taken by D.L. Evans,- on the People's Collection Wales site

                topup
                topup

                Military History

                Postcard of the War Memorial, Llangeitho - on the People's Collection Wales site

                topup

                Occupations

                Jenkins, J Geraint. Rural Industry in Cardiganshire. Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 1, 1968. Contains a section re this parish and Lip-working; - 'The Pen-uwch district ... is an upland area of dispersed family farms famous ... for its long tradition of craftsmanship...many farmers, by tradition, made their own farm tools and equipment. The sledges used for carrying hay from upland fields, for example, were often built by hill farmers from the material growing on their own farms, while many made their own farm gates, hay rakes, ropes, and tool handles. ... simple home-made tools and equipment were well known on the farms ... objects for farm and domestic use were made from straw, bound into rolls with bramble strips and coiled into a receptacle. This category of work is known as lip-work, the word lip being a derivation of the Scandinavian term for coiled basketry....'

                Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

                • Llangeitho YFC 
                • Llangeitho YFC, 1953
                • Black and White photograph showing Felin fach corn mill, Llangeitho.
                • Black and White photograph showing Rhyd-y-Pandy Mill, Llangeitho.
                • Shop in Llangeitho near the Chapel. Picture taken about the beginning of the 20th century
                • Butter depot, Llangeitho. John Evans 1903.
                topup

                Religion and Religious Life

                Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

                • Cofeb Daniel Rowland, Llangeitho [memorial statue]
                • Daniel Rowlands was a prominent preacher for the Calvinistic Methodists during the 18th Century. He built Gwynfil Chapel at Llangeitho to house all the people who came to listen to him. However, on his death, he was buried at Llangeitho Church, as he had made a deal with the landowner for Chapel graveyard, that he could have the land for free is she was be the first to be buried there. Daniel Rowlands died before the landowner. Llangeitho Church was extended during the 19th century, and over the grave of Daniel Rowlands, his gravestone was then placed flat on the ground and can be found under the carpet near the alter inside the church.
                topup

                Schools

                Held at Ceredigion Archives;

                • School log book for Llangeitho Primary School 1953-1988.

                Here is an extract from The Reports of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of Education in Wales. 1847

                Hyatt, Jenni. Notes from the Logbook of Penuwch Board School, Cardiganshire 1879-1902. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 8/6 August 2004

                Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

                • Photograph of Llangeitho School Group II pupils and staff. Undated.
                • Photograph of pupils and staff at Llangeitho School. Undated.Probably Victorian.Names written on back of photograph
                • Photograph of the pupils and staff of Llangeitho School in 1886. Rear of photograph annotated with name of school, date and name of schoolmaster (ysgolfeistr) Edward Jones.
                topup

                Social life and Customs

                Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

                • Llangeitho Club 1911
                • Llangeitho club 3-01-1912. Rear of postcard lists women helping with the dinner. 
                • Postcard showing members of Llangeitho Dramatic Company in costume. 1914. Back of postcard inscribed with names of some of those pictured. 
                • Postcard of Llangeitho Women's Institute before Second World War. Undated. Back of postcard inscribed with names of some of the members.
                • Postcard of the Refreshment bar Llangeitho, Ploughing Match, Cwmmelyn Field, February 14th, 1912.
                • Postcard showing Llangeitho Choir. "Conductor Rev. D. Richards" inscribed in top right hand corner.  Reverse of postcard reveals it was produced by Culliford, 47, North Parade, Aberystwyth. The postcard is undated but the clothing and hairstyles suggest it was taken in the first half of the twentieth century. 
                • Llangeitho Dinner Club. Postcard showing helpers and members of dinner club. dated January 4th, 1911. Reverse gives information on a couple of those depicted.
                • Postcard of Edwardian ladies on their bicycles. Rear of postcard lists names of people in picture
                • Huntsmen in front of Commerce House, Llangeitho circa 1934.
                • Llangeitho Hunt and hounds on Llangeitho Square 
                • Eight elderly women