Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llanrwst

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Llanrwst

Primary tabs

"A market town, the head of a Union, and a parish ..... chiefly in the Uchdulas division of the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 20 miles (W by S) from Denbigh, 26 (W by N) from Ruthin, and 217 (NW by W) from London; containing 3601 inhabitants. ..... The town is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the river Conway, four miles to the north of the road to Holyhead, and in the spacious and beautiful vale of Llanrwst, environed by majestic and well-wooded hills. ..... The parish is upwards of forty miles in circumference." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

"LLANRWST, a parish and market town in the hundred of Isdulas, county Denbigh, and hundred of Nant-Conway, county Carnarvon, 10 miles S. of Conway, 16 S.W. of Denbigh, and 218 from London. The Conway and Llanrwst branch of the Chester and Holyhead railway has its terminus here. It is situated on the river Conway, which is here crossed by a steep bridge of three arches, built under the direction of Inigo Jones about 1636. The parish includes 7 townships, Garth-Garmon and Tre-ydre being among the principal." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

The ancient parish of Llanrwst was of great extent. It comprised the township of Gwydir, in Caernarfonshire (the area of which was 7694 acres); and a number of townships in Denbighshire, with an area of 15,298 acres. These townships were Cilcennis, Tre'r Dre Isaf, Tre'r Dre Uchaf, Garthgyfannedd, Mathebrwd, Tybrith Isaf, Tybrith Uchaf, and Garth Garmon, in Denbighshire.
In 1866, a portion of the township of Gwydir was transferred by an Order in Council to the parish of Capel Curig, in Caernarfonshire.
Tybrith Ucha and Garth Garmon had for many years operated, unofficially, as the parish of Capel Garmon; and this was made official in 1927.

topup

Bibliography

Llyfrau Printiedig John Jones, Llanrwst, casgliad (collection) [ c. 1820]-[1860] - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales   "Collection of printed books published by John Jones, Llanrwst, [ c. 1820]-[1860], including 'Hanes Richard Turpin'; 'Robinson Crusoe'; 'A New English and Welsh Dictionary'; 'Tri Aderyn' by Morgan Llwyd; and 'Angeu' by Thomas Edwards (Twm o'r Nant)."

  • 1470-1970 quin-centenary souvenir and celebration programme, November 29th - December 6th, 1970     Llanrwst : [St. Grwst's Church], 1970.
  • A guide to Bettws-y-Coed and Llanrwst         Manchester : A. Heywood & Son ; London : E.W. Allen, [1905]  
  • A guide to Llanrwst and Bettws-y-coed         Manchester : Heywood, [c1878]
  • A guide to Llanrwst and Bettws-y-coed         Manchester : Abel Heywood & Son, [1888?]
  • Ancient and historic Llanrwst        1863?
  • Betws-y-coed, Capel Curig, Llanrwst, Llandudno, Colwyn Bay, Snowdon and North Wales (northern section).      3rd ed      London : Ward, Lock, 1965. & 1962
  • Brown,  Colin and Mary.     Clockmakers of Llanrwst        Wrexham : Bridge Books, 1993.
  • Cymru, Lloegr a Llanrwst        Hanes Llanrwst, Rhif 1 (2004), 11-12
  • Davies, Gwilym Prys.   Cymru, Lloegr a Llanrwst         Barn, 443/444 (Ionawr 2000), p. 28-31 
  • Douglas Pennant, E H. Farms with a long history : [Tai-hirion and Tai-duon, Llanrwst]. Country Quest 30/10 (1990), p. 34-5
  • Eglwys Gatholic Llanrwst, 15.1.05          Llanrwst : John Lloyd Roberts, Argraphydd, [1905?]
  • Eglwys Fedyddiedig Penuel Llanrwst 1790-1990          [Llanrwst] : [Eglwys Fedyddiedig Penuel], 1990.        
  • Ellis, Susan C.         Llanrwst church mizes         Gwreiddiau Gwynedd = Gwynedd Roots, 1/58 (Spring / Summer 2010), p. 20-21
  • Hanes Clwb Criced Llanrwst          Llanrwst : Llanrwst Cricket Club , [199-].        
  • Hanes Llanrwst.          Llanrwst : Cymdeithas Hanes Llanrwst, 2004        
  • Hen dafarndai Llanrwst        Hanes Llanrwst, Rhif 1 (2004), 28.        
  • Hen luniau Llanrwst a'r cyffiniau.      [Llanrwst : Cymdeithas Hanes Llanrwst, 2005]        
  • Hen siopau Llanrwst       Hanes Llanrwst, Rhif 1 (2004), 29        
  • Heol Watling, Llanrwst       Vol. 1.         Llanrwst : Cymdeithas Hanes Llanrwst a'r cylch, 2004.
  • Heywood, Abel. A guide to Llanrwst and Bettws-y-coed : with notices of Capel Curig and Trefriw. Manchester : Heywood, [c1878] 16p
  • Hugh-Jones, Edward M.  Hugh Jones, 1815-1897 : rector of Llanrwst, Archdeacon of St. Asaph. [Wootton by Woodstock, Oxford] : E. M. Hugh-Jones, 1989. 12 sheets
  • Illustrated programme of the Vale of Conway Chair and Crown Eisteddfod to be held at Llanrwst, Whit-Monday, May 23rd, 1904.      Llanrwst : Printed at the Rhedegydd Office, [1904?]
  • Jesus Hospital - Llanrwst (Free school and almshouses)         London : printed by C. Roworth, 1851.
  • Jobbin, Siôn.       Israel, Palesteina a Llanrwst         Barn, Rhif 494 (Mawrth 2004), 4-7 
  • Jones, John Ellis.     Llanrwst Grammar School         [Denbigh] : Denbighshire Historical Society, 2007 printing.
  • Llangernyw, Llanrwst a Chymru         Llanrwst : Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 2005.
  • Llanrwst Grammar School 350th anniversary 1610-1960.        1962?
  • Llanrwst & Trefriw / Capel: Cymdeithas Treftadaeth y Capeli.          [Aberystwyth] : Capel: Cymdeithas Treftadaeth y Capeli, [2007?]
  • Llanrwst Society for the Prosecution of Felons, established May 22, 1819        Llanrwst : Printed by John Jones, [1819?]
  • Llanrwst town guide         [Llanrwst Town Council], [1988?]
  • Llanrwst Urban District, the official guide. Gloucester : British Publishing Co., [1973]
  • Llawlyfr arddangosfa celfyddyd a chrefft : Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Frenhinol Cymru, Llanrwst, 1951.         Llanrwst : Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru, Llanrwst, 1951.
  • Llawlyfr Undeb Dyffryn Conwy a Gogledd Arfon yn Llanrwst, 1967.         Llanrwst: Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg, 1967.
  • North Wales (northern section) : Llandudno, Colwyn Bay, Rhyl, Conway, Penmaenmawr, Bangor, Anglesey, Betws-y-Coed, Llanrwst, Capel Curig, Caernarvon, etc.  London : Ward Lock, 1979. 192p
  • Official guide to Llanrwst and district / published under the auspices of the Llanrwst urban district council.         London: John Miller, [1931]
  • Owain,  G. Eryl.   Hanes yn Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy, Llanrwst      Welsh Historian 6 (Autumn 1986), p. 15-17
  • Pritchard, Telfryn.     Further light on the building of Llanrwst bridge         Transactions (Caernarvonshire Historical Society), Vol. 66 (2005), p. 38-54 
  • Roberts, Dennis  (Penmaemawr).     Llanrwst recalled     Gwreiddiau Gwynedd = Gwynedd Roots, 1/50 (2006), p. 12-13
  • Thomas, W E.    Dau can mlynedd o hanes achos Methodistiaeth Galfinaidd yn Llanrwst, 1768 - 1968     Llanrwst : J. Lloyd Roberts a'i Gwmni, [1968]  
  • Tucker, Norman.       Llanrwst         Ashbourne : Landmark, 2002.
  • Tucker, Norman. Llanrwst : the history of a market town. Ashbourne : Landmark, 2002. 111p
  • Tucker, Norman. St. Grwst's Church, Llanrwst, 1470-1970. [Llanrwst] : [St. Grwst's Church], [1970?] 15p
  • Vernon, R W.   Conservation of mining sites in the Gwydyr Forest area of the Snowdonia National Park, [with special reference to Llanrwst Mine scheme]     Industrial Archaeology Review 12 (1989), p. 77-83
  • Wicklen, S I.       History of printers and printing in Llanrwst         Conwy : Cader Idris Books, [1986]
  • Williams, Alun Rawson.     A 1692 land tax return for Llanrwst         Hel achau, 21 (1987), p. 9-12 
  • Williams, Eric.   Ffarmio fel a fu [Carmel, Llanrwst]         Fferm a Thyddyn. Rhif 8 (Calan Gaeaf 1991), p. 22-24
  • Williams, Leonard.   Llanrwst Urban District          2nd ed.         Croydon : Home Publishing Co., [1955?]
  • Williams, V.   Atgofion am ardal Carmel, Llanrwst       Fferm a thyddyn, 23 (Calan Mai 1999), p. 8.
  • Williams, V.   Atgofion am gylch Llanrwst a'r Dyffryn        Fferm a thyddyn, Rhif 20 (Calan Gaeaf 1997), p. 17-18.   
  • Williams, William. Ancient and historic Llanrwst : from the Henar Manuscripts etc. 1863 ?. 12p    
  • Wynn, Marjorie.     Llanrwst and its almshouses       Country Quest. May 2007, p.8-9.
topup

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • S. Dawson Ware (mining engineer) papers
    "Include; ........... Notes, abstracts and sale catalogues, Llanrwst lead mines, 1879-1917; correspondence and other papers relating to East Snowdon mines, water power and Gwydir Castle [1930s]; correspondence and notes on Gwydir Estate, Llanrwst mine and Vale of Conway mine, [1930s-1950s]; reports on output and resources and other documentents relating to mines including Parc, Pandora, Eagle, Llanrwst, Gorlan, Hafna, Gwydir Valley Workings, East Snowdon mines, [19th century]-[1930s]; and notes on zinc ore resources, 1914-1948."
  • Roberts and Rogers Jones (auctioneers, valuers and receivers, Llanrwst), Records  "Records of Roberts and Rogers Jones, Auctioneers, Valuers and Receivers, Llanrwst, 1852-1958, including records of the company, 1896-1950 ........."
  • Eagles Hotel, Llanrwst Account Book   1850 - 1851?
  • Records of the Vale of Conway Dairies Ltd  1919-1931
topup

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Seion, Llanwrst

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Llanrwst church

 

Nonconformist Churches

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of "Llanrwst Urban" :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Penuel Baptists 110
Scotland Street Calvinistic Methodists 425
Seion Calvinistic Methodists 750
Ebenezer Congregationalists 50
Tabernacl Congregationalists 230
Horeb Wesleyans 277
Not named Wesleyans (English language) 50

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of "Llanrwst Rural" :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Bethel Calvinistic Methodists 170
Seion, Capel Garmon Calvinistic Methodists 150
Carmel Calvinistic Methodists 138
Nantyrhiw Congregationalists 161
Siloam, Capel Garmon Congregationalists 150
Bethania, Capel Garmon Wesleyans 60
topup

Church Records

Details of the records are given under the entries for the individual Churches 

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Capel Bethel, Melin-y-Coed, Llanrwst, cofysgrifau (records) 1933-1940 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales     "Adeiladwyd y Capel ym 1827 ym Melin-y-Coed, ym mhlwyf Llanrwst, Sir Ddinbych. Codwyd y capel hwn mewn ymateb i lwyddiant yr Ysgol Sul yn yr ardal a ddechreuodd oddeutu 1793."

topup

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanrwst was assigned to the No. 1 ("Llanrwst") sub-district of the Llanrwst Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanrwst poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanrwst are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Llanrwst XXVII. nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Llanrwst 11b. nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

topup

Description and Travel

Llanrwst - on wikipedia

Pont Llanrwst - on the Madog.org site

Llanrwst Railway station - on Wikipedia

Various items -  on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Various landscapes/buildings
  • 'Trefriw near Llanrwst, with mill' by David Cox Jnr. (1809-85) (watercolour; pencil) 

Llanrwst - tourist site

You can see pictures of Llanrwst which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Gazetteers

  • The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
  • A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanrwst to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Frank Jones Papers 1932-1944  "Frank Jones (1913-1970) of Talybont, Llanrwst, Caernarfonshire, was a nationalist and a civil servant......"
  • Elias Family Papers 1612-1894    "This collection consists of material accumulated by the Elias family of Llanrwst, Denbighshire and Penmaenmawr, Caernarfonshire (now in Gwynedd) in particular by Thomas Elias, genealogist and antiquary and his great grandfather, the poet and genealogist William Elias....."
topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanrwst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Agreement to repair bridges, 7 April 1735 - on the People's Collection Wales site.
1.William Roberts of Lloost [Llanrwst], co. Denbigh, mason, Robert Williams of Conway [Conwy], mason and John Prichard of Clynnog, mason. 
2. Humphrey Roberts of Bryn y Neuadd, esq., John Bulkeley of Baron Hill, co. Anglesey, gent., and John Hughes of Weeg, gent

topup

Land and Property

Plas Tirion, Llanrwst - on the People's Collection Wales site    "Plas Tirion, near Llanrwst, is a 16th century two-storey house, originally constructed of rubble with slate roofs and tall stone chimney stacks.........."

Soflan, Llanrwst - on the People's Collection Wales site      "Soflan farmhouse, Llanrwst, was built in the early 17th century ....." Llanrwst Inclosure Book (Photocopy) [copy of original dating from 1812-1828] - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales     

topup
topup

Military History

Two Comrades Killed - Denbighshire Free Press 11-09-1915 - on the People's Collection Wales site

topup

Occupations

Star Supply Stores, Llanrwst - on the People's Collection Wales site

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Llanrwst Poor Law Union records 1837-1903  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales

topup

Population

  • In 1831- the population was 3601.
  • In 1901- the population was 3669.
    [ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
topup

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanrwst Urban District Council records 1897-1974 
  • Llanrwst Rural District Council Records 1879-1935 (accumulated 1895-1935)
  • Llanrwst Tollgate Account 1850 - 1851   "Includes details of tolls, numbers, and types of loads (including animals), which passed through, and their owners."
topup

Religion and Religious Life

Sasiwn Llanrwst, c.1909 (The open meetings were an influential part of the religious awakening in Wales at the beginning of the twentieth century) - on the People's Collection Wales site

topup

Social life and Customs

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Llanrwst Town Silver Band, October, 1924
  • Cambrian News staff gathered around T. Glynne Davies in Aberystwyth after he won the crown at the National Eisteddfod in Llanrwst 1951
  • Beirdd [Poets] Llanrwst 1876;  A group of men in front of a banner. A goat stands at the side of the picture.
  • Sion Catrin ringing the bell, Llanrwst, c. 1875

Côr Meibion Llanrwst a'r Cylch, casgliad (collection) [1940]-1966 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales "Records of Llanrwst and District Male Voice Choir, including membership book, [1940]-[1960]; and minute books, 1950-1966"

topup

Statistics

  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as about 11,000 acres.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]