"FRODSHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the market-town of Frodsham, the chapelry of Alvanley, the lordship of Frodsham, and the townships of Helsby, Kingsley, Mauley, Newton, and Norley, and containing 5451 inhabitants, of which number, 1556 are in the town of Frodsham, 10 miles (N. E. by N.) from Chester, and 192 (N. N. W.) from London. Frodsham is mentioned in Domesday-book as being the property of the Earl of Chester. The town, situated on an eminence on the banks of the river Weever, near its confluence with the Mersey, consists of a broad street, a mile in length, extending along the road from Chester to Warrington, and another branching from it and leading to the church; at the east end is a stone bridge of four arches, over the Weever, which is here navigable, and at the west end anciently stood a Norman castle. A charter was granted about 1220, by Ranulph de Blundeville, sixth earl of Chester, to the burgesses of Frodsham, ... ; but the manor having been separated from the earldom about the beginning of the seventeenth century, the chartered privileges of the burgesses expired. Courts leet and baron are now held twice a year, and there are two presentments, one for the borough and fee, and the other for the borough and lordship; and for each of these townships a constable is appointed and sworn in court. The lord of the manor has the tolls of a market held on Saturdays, and of two fairs, on the 15th of May and the 21st of August: the market, owing to the vicinity of Warrington, is inconsiderable. The principal branch of trade carried on is the refining of salt, besides which here are flour-mills and cotton factories. In the township of Manley is a quarry of excellent freestone. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £23. 13. l1., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is situated on elevated ground, adjacent to the village of Overton, but within the township of Frodsham; it is built of red freestone, and appears to be of high antiquity, as the nave displays manifest traces of Norman architecture. An organ was erected in 1790, .... Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship here. There is a free school, built about 1860, near the church: the master is chosen by twenty-four feoffees, consisting of the vicar and churchwardens, with four feoffees out of the township and lordship, three out of Kingsley, and two each from Norley, Newton, Alvanley, Manley, and Hellesby: he has a good house in Overton, and a salary of more than £100 per annum from lands at Frodsham, and a rent-charge on an estate at Christleton: the usher receives £7 per annum from an estate in Overton. Mrs. Gastrell bequeathed a rent-charge of £10 per annum, upon an estate near the town, to the Warrington Society, for the relief of widows and orphans of the clergy in the archdeaconry of Chester; and there are various charitable benefactions of less importance." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Frodsham, also a township in Frodsham ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5177), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Frodsham Bridge, Frodsham Marsh, Marsh Green, Newtown and Snidley Moor.
- The population was 1250 in 1801, 2179 in 1851, 2728 in 1901, 5245 in 1951, and 8982 in 2001.
|Mission Church, Bridge Lane, Newtown, Frodsham, Church of England|
|St Dunstan, Frodsham, Church of England|
|St Laurence, Frodsham, Church of England|
|Union Chapel, Bridge Lane, Newtown, Frodsham, United Reformed Church|
- Runcorn (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Frodsham to another place.
Places associated with Frodsham ancient parish with separate pages
- 1883 March 25 — Lost eight detached parts to Frodsham Lordship (108 acres, pop. 150 in 1891, including Brecon Hill and Five Crosses), and gained seven detached parts of Frodsham Lordship (159 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained the whole of Frodsham Lordship (2630 acres, pop. 1563 in 1931) and of Lands common to Frodsham and Frodsham Lordship (289 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
- 1988 April 1 — Lost part to Helsby.
- 2015 April 1 — Gained parts of Kingsley and Sutton (near Runcorn).
You can see the administrative areas in which Frodsham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ526754 (Lat/Lon: 53.273075, -2.712765), Frodsham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Runcorn Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Runcorn Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)