"CLAWTON, a village and parish on the small river Claw, 4 miles S. by E. of Holsworthy, has 639 souls, and 5358 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir Wm. Molesworth, the lord of the manor of Affaland, formerly held by the Arscotts. The Church is an ancient fabric, with a tower and three bells, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £75, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thos Melhuish, of Ashwater, who is also impropriator of the tithes, which were commuted in 1842 for £377. 18s. 9d. per annum. There is neither glebe nor parsonage. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have chapels here. The poor have 28s. a year from several benefactions." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Martyn, W.W. Notes on the family of Ley in Beer Ferrers. Western Antiquary 4, 1885, pp.112-24. [Raymond: Pedigree, 17-19th c., of Ley alias Kempthorne of Kempthorne in Devon, and Tonacombe, Morwenstow, Cornwall, 15-19th c.]