"HIGHWEEK parish includes Newton-Bushell, and is a suburb of Newton-Abbot, . . . [which] is an ancient market town, picturesquely seated on the north side of the navigable river Teign, and near the South Devon Railway, 15 miles S. by W. of Exeter, . . . NEWTON BUSHEL . . . has more than a 1000 inhabitants and forms the northern part of the town, on the opposite side of the Lemon rivulet. . . . The Rev. Richard Lane is lord of the manor of Teignweek, including Newton-Bushel, in Highweek parish. . . . Bradley House, the ancient manor house, is now the property of the Rev. F.W. Wall, B.C.L., lord of the manor of Highweek. . . . Highweek Parish Church is in the small village of Highweek, on an eminence about a mile north of the town. It is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower and six bells. It is in the perpendicular style of the time of Henry VI., and in its windows are some remnants of ancient stained glass. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of King's Teignton, in the patronage of the Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev. H. Woolcoombe, jun., for whom the Rev. W. Sadler, B.A., officiates. . . . Newton-Bushel Chapel of Ease, for that part of the parish of Highweek, is an old Gothic fabric, which was repaired and enlarged in 1826, and has a tower and one bell. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Teignweek. A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.