"SHAUGH PRIOR is a large parish of scattered farm houses, &c., in the valley of the river Plym, and among the hills and dales at the south end of Dartmoor Forest, extending from 7 to 10 miles N.N.E. of Plymouth. Near Shaugh Bridge, on the Plym, the Dewerstone rock rears its beetling crags in majestic altitude above the channel of the Cad rivulet; and in the vicinity are other granite tors. This neighbourhood is often visited by anglers and lovers of picturesque scenery. Revels are held here at Easter and Whitsuntide. The parish contained 698 souls and 7170 acres of land. Excellent clay is got here for the china manufacturers. Sir R. Lopes, Bart., is lord of the manor, which formerly belonged to Plympton Priory. The Earl of Morley, the Rev. S.W. Pearse, and other proprietors have estates in this parish. The Church is an ancient fabric in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. The perpetual curacy, valued at £107, is annexed to that of Sampford-Spiney, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and incumbency of the Rev. S.W. Pearse, B.A., for whom the Rev. Hy. Colson, of Tavistock, officiates. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Plympton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of both the South Hams and the Dartmoor area.
Balkwill, Don. Memories of Childhood: Growing up at Shaugh Bridge 1949 - 1961. Home Farm Cottage, Coldbrook, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, NP7 9ST (2006) 80pp.
Brown, Mike. Shaugh Prior (Full Survey). In Dartmoor Region Monumental Inscriptions Indexes, Vols. 12- 14. Dartmoor Press, PO Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL.
Shaugh Prior - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Parish Registers going back to 1565 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the Deanery of Plympton. with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2007).
Section on Shaugh Prior from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Shaugh Prior Parish website.
Shaugh Bridge & Shaugh Prior (archived copy) - "A nostagic pictorial visit", a web-site provided by Don Balkwill.
Pictures of Shaugh Prior over the years - by Don Balkwill.
Transcription of the entry in White's Devonshire Directory (1850) by Terry Partridge.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
Brown, Mike. Trade Directory for Cornwood, Harford, Shaugh Prior, South Brent 1850, 1870, 1878, Dartmoor Press (2001).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shaugh Prior to another place.
Dartmoor Press Online Magazine's page for this parish (archived copy), with articles, transcriptions, publication details, etc. - highly recommended.
Bettes, D.C. The Bettes, Bray and Selleck Families in Lee Moor at the turn of the 20th Century, Devon Family Historian, no. 101, (Feb 2002) pp.9-10.
Worthy, C. Devonshire Parishes: or the antiquities, heraldry and family history of twenty-eight parishes in the archdeaconry of Totnes (2 vols), Exeter, W. Pollard (1887). [Chap. XXIV: Shaugh - Barony of Plympton; NOVANT; SLANNING; Mrs MABBOT of Truelove; Martin BARONS of Barnstaple; CARRINGTON the poet] [Index]
You can see the administrative areas in which Shaugh Prior has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Balkwill, Don. The Book of Shaugh Prior Parish: It's a Shaugh thing. Halsgrove (2008) 160pp. [ISBN 978 1 84114 694 2]
Penderill-Church, John. Lee Moor: a historical sketch, Unpublished Typescript (1950?). [Plymouth Library - 966LE]
Worthy, Charles. Devonshire Parishes. Exeter: William Pollard (1887) - Vol. 2, pp. 232- 350.
Brown, Mike. Shaugh Prior. In "Dartmoor Tithe Apportionments, Vol. 2". The Dartmoor Press (c1997) 16p.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX542631 (Lat/Lon: 50.449575, -4.054999), Shaugh Prior which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)