"CHORLTON-CUM-HARDY, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; near the river Mersey and the North Western railway, 3½ miles SW of Manchester. It has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,265. Real property, £4,928. Pop., 730. Houses, 147. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £103. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The church was built in 1866, at a cost of £5,000. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)