"PADDINGTON, a parish and suburban district of London, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3 miles W. by N. of St. Paul's. It is the terminus of the Great Western railway, and the junction station of the Metropolitan line, which, like the Great Western, is constructed on the broad gauge, so that trains can run through from the one line to the other. Here is also the basin of the Paddington canal, with extensive wharves and warehouses on its banks, and which communicates with all the principal canals in the kingdom, and by means of the Regent's canal joins the Thames at Limehouse. The parish, which lies between the Edgware and Uxbridge roads, comprises the populous suburban districts of Bayswater, Maids Hill, Westbourne Green, and Craven Hill, and is divided into the following ecclesiastical districts,-All Saints', Christ Church, Holy Trinity, St. John's, St. Mary's, and St. Saviour's. It contains an area of 1,220 acres, with a population in 1861 of 75,784. " (There is more of this description).
"BAYSWATER, originally a hamlet in the parish of Paddington, Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile to the W. of the Marble Arch, now forms a large suburban town. It is included in the borough of Marylebone, and is situated on the northern side of Kensington Gardens. " (There is more of this description).
"CRAVEN HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Paddington, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles from St. Paul's. It is situated between Westbourne and Bayswater, and is the property of the Earl of Craven. [On modern maps Craven Hill is East of Bayswater underground station, parallel to and North of Bayswater Road.]"
"MAIDA VALE, (or Maida Hill) a hamlet and suburban district in the parishes of St. Marylebone and Paddington, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, about 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. The Grand Junction canal passes through the neighbourhood. It is now a fashionable suburb of London, containing many villa residences.
[1868 Gazetteer called it Maida Hill, 1888 and 2003 maps show it as Maida Vale.]
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.