[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURNBY, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles SE. of Pocklington. The church is dedicated to St. Giles (see Churches for photograph). The Rev. Charles Carr, A. M. of Nunburnholme is the rector and the Duke of Devonshire is patron. Pop. 95. --A part of Burnby is in the parish of Hayton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 90 gravestones in Burnby Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Burnby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Burnby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burnby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE836464 (Lat/Lon: 53.907025, -0.728954), Burnby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish