The Ancient Parish of WILBERFOSS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WILBERFOSS, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, 5 miles WNW of Pocklington. The parish church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist (see Churches for photograph). the patronage of the living is still in the Wilberforce family. Pop. 385.
Here, in 1153, Helias de Catton, founded a Nunnery for Benedictines, which was endowed by his son Alan, with divers lands. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Not a vestige of this Nunnery is now to be seen, Valued at the dissolution at 21L. 16s. 10d. -Dugdale. -Burton.
Wilberfoss is remarkable for having been the ancient seat of the family of Wilberfoss, which is said to have taken its name from the place, and to have flourished here ever since the Conquest; till William Wilberfoss, Esq. who was born A. D. 1710, sold the family estate and the mansion. William Wilberforce, Esq. M.P. celebrated for his senatorial abilities and philanthropy, is a descendant of this ancient family."
"NEWTON UPON DERWENT, in the parish of Wilberfoss, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 1 mile SW. of Wilberfoss, 6 miles W. of Pocklington. Pop. 205. Robert Harrison, music preceptor, who resides here, is a blind man and famous for his mechanical ingenuity."
"WHINBERRY HILL, in the parish of Wilberfoss, and wapentake of Harthill; 1 mile NNE. of Wilberfoss, 6 miles WNW. of Pocklington."
- Photographs of the over 360 gravestones in Wilberfoss Churchyard with a surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The Church of St. John the Baptist, Wilberfoss.
- The former Primitive Methodist Church, Wilberfoss.
- The Church and Community Centre, Newton upon Derwent. (The Church's website is here.)
- The former Methodist Chapel, Wilberfoss.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Wilberfoss also had its own website which gave (among other things) quite a detailed history of the church.
This has now gone dead, if you know where it went, please drop me a line.
- Transcript of the entry for Wilberfoss in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wilberfoss.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Kelly's Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1905
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wilberfoss to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE730508 (Lat/Lon: 53.948163, -0.889219), Wilberfoss which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish