[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"ACKWORTH, (or High Ackworth) a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 3 mile from Pontefract, 5 from Ferrybridge, 8 from Wakefield, 28 from York. Pop. Including Low Ackworth, 1,575. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, £22. 1s. 0½d. Patron, the King, as Duke of Lancaster. Ackworth is nominally divided into two villages, called High and Low, adjoining each other. The parish and township are co-extensive, in which are the following seats, viz:- Ackworth Park, John Petyt, Esq. Ackworth House, John Goldsworthy, Esq. Ackworth Villa, Thomas St. Quintin, Esq. Ackworth Lodge. The Rev. George Maddison; Ackworth Moor Top, Thomas Gee, Esq. Ackworth Grange, Richard Wilson, Esq. and at Ackworth, D'Oyley Sanders, Esq.
The school at this place was originally an appendage to the Foundling Hospital in London, and built partly by original subscription, and partly by aid of Parliament. In 1777 the premises and lands were offered for sale; when Dr. Fothergill, and some of the Society of Friends, purchased the whole for £7,000. and converted it into a seminary for the children of Quakers. The school has since been supported by legacies, donations, &c. The sum paid for board, education, and clothes, is regulated by a committee. There are generally about 300 pupils on this establishment; and nothing can exceed the order and regularity that prevails in the school, which stands in a beautiful and pleasant situation. The management is under the direction of Mr. Robert Whitaker, subject to the direction of a committee."
"BRIAR FLATS, in the parish of Ackworth, wapentake of Osgoldcross, & honour of Pontefract; 2½ miles S. of Pontefract."
"HUNDILL HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Ackworth, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles from Pontefract."
"MOOR HOUSE, in the parish of Ackworth, wapentake of Osgoldcross, and honour of Pontefract; 4½ miles S. of Pontefract."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]