[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GREAT MITTON, a parish-town, in the west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bowland; 3 miles from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 10 from Blackburn, (Lanc.) 12 from Gisburn. Pop. 324. The Church is a vicarage dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£14. 7s. 8½d. p.r. !£140."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Hallows Church, Great Mitton.
- St. Amrose's Church, Grindleton.
- The Free Methodist Church, Grindleton.
- St. Helen's Church, Waddington.
- The Methodist Chapel, Waddington.
- St. Catherine's Church, West Bradford.
- The Methodist Church, West Bradford.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Mitton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD715390 (Lat/Lon: 53.846451, -2.434665), Great Mitton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.