Hide

Pyle and Kenfig

hide
Hide

"PYLE, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, to the Vicarage of Cynfig: Patron, The Crown: Chapel dedicated to St. James the Apostle. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 406. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £126..7..11, at 7s. 6d.in the pound. It is 12 1/2 m. N.W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 1600 acres of Land; of which, about 100 acres are uninclosed. There is a Spring of cold water near the Chapel, called Collwyn Well, which has been famed, for some Centuries past, for its medicinal Virtues. The great Tythes belong to Thomas Mansell Talbot, Esq.; and the small Tythes to the Vicar. Here is a "cleanly little Inn." "
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

Hide

The location of this area on linked maps is marked as exact although it could only ever be a guide

Hide
topup

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

topup

Church History

Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for photographs of various churches/chapels in this parish

The Parish of Pyle & Kenfig

topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. James, is in the Benefice of Pyle with Kenfig, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS825826.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1695-1876, Marriages, 1688-1837, Burials, 1695-1898. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.

Anglican Parish Registers held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1695-1920 1695-1837 1695-1925 1824-1860, 1904-1949 1696, 1721, 1723-1724, 1726-1747, 1749-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish records     ".......... relating to churches of St James and St Mary Magdalene including registers of baptisms, 1695-1920; marriages, 1695-1837; burials, 1695-1925; banns, 1824-1949; services,1905-1940; inventories, 1904-1905; records relating to: property, 1904-1950; churchwardens, 1878-1954; church affairs, 1905-1929; micellaneous and civil records, 1749-1968"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Pyle and Kenfig, St. James - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1872
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Pyle and Kenfig which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Transcript of Pyle, with Sker, Kenfig, Cornelly, Kenfig Hill, and neighbourhoods, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

topup

Gazetteers

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis

topup

Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

You can see the administrative areas in which Pyle and Kenfig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Kenfig through the ages - "In medieval times Kenfig was awarded the status of a Borough. The Kenfig Borough or Old Bro Cynffig included old Kenfig, modern Kenfig, Maudlam (Mawdlam), much of North Cornelly, Marlas, Pyle and some of Kenfig Hill......."

topup

Maps

This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

 Plan of the parish of Pyle and Kenfig in the County of Glamorgan - on the People's Collection Wales site

Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS811815 (Lat/Lon: 51.520276, -3.715224), Pyle and Kenfig which are provided by:

topup

Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Pyle and Kenfig as shown on the online parish map from the CD of    Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Kenfig (99); Afon fach; Afon Kenfig; Gwely'r Misgl; Heol Las; Heol-y-Sheet?; Kenfig (village); Kenfig Burrows; Kenfig Castle (remains); Kenfig Pool; Kenfig Sands; Marlas; Mawdlam; Moat; Pen-y-mynydd; Pen-yr-heol; Sewage Works; Sker Point; Town of Kenfig (site of); Town Hall; Waun-y-mer
  • Pyle (98); Afon Kenfig; Balas; North Cornelly (village); ; Old Ballas; Pant-mawr; Pyle (village); Quarries; Sker House; South Cornelly (village); Ty-draw; Ty'n-y-pwll; Ty'r-ychen; Ty-Tanglwys;
  • Sker (100); Ffynnon-wen Rocks; Sker Golf Links; The Rest
topup

Newspapers

topup

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Pyle, Kenfig and Tythegston Higher School Board records      ".......... comprising of minute books, 1875-1903; ledgers, 1894-1903; rough ledger, 1901-1903"