"WYBUNBURY, a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Bartherton, Basford, Blakenhall, Bridgemere, Checkley with Wrinehill, Chorlton, Doddington, Hatherton, Hough, Hunsterson, Lea, Rope, Shavington with Gresty, Sound, Stapeley, Walgherton, Weston, Willaston, and Wybunbury, and containing 4146 inhabitants, of which number, 429 are in the township of Wybunbury, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Nantwich. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester,rated in the king's books at £13. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, was rebuilt in 1595; it is a spacious structure, with carved wooden ceilings and a lofty pinnacled tower, which leans a little to the north-east. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school, founded by the late Sir Thomas Delves, Bart., is conducted on the National system, and attended by one hundred and thirty-four boys, of whom twenty receive annually a blue coat and cap each: the same individual endowed a school for ten girls, each of whom have a blue gown and bonnet annually; also four others in different parts of the parish, which afford instruction to sixty six girls. There is, besides, a boys' school, called the Wybunbury Charity, built by subscription about two hundred years ago, and endowed by several persons for the instruction of twenty boys. An hospital, dedicated to the Holy Cross and St. George, for a master and brethren, existed here before 1464." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Wybunbury (pronounced Wi-ben-bree), also a township in Wybunbury ancient parish, Nantwich hundred (SJ 6950), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Blakelow (part), Clannor Heath, Daisy Hill, The Flasg, Haymoor Green (part), Howbeck Bank (part) and Pinfold.
- The population was 278 in 1801, 530 in 1851, 516 in 1901, 752 in 1951, and 1474 in 2001.
|St Chad (new), Wybunbury, Church of England|
|St Chad (old), Wybunbury, Church of England|
|St John the Evangelist, Doddington, Church of England|
- Nantwich (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wybunbury to another place.
Places associated with Wybunbury ancient parish with separate pages
- Basford; Batherton; Blakenhall; Bridgemere; Checkley cum Wrinehill; Chorley (near Nantwich); Chorlton (near Crewe)
- Doddington; Hatherton; Hough; Hunsterson; Lea (near Crewe); Rope; Shavington cum Gresty; Stapeley
- Walgherton; Weston (near Crewe); Willaston (near Nantwich); Wybunbury
You can see the administrative areas in which Wybunbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ704489 (Lat/Lon: 53.036409, -2.442913), Wybunbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-74)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)