"BOLAM parish comprises the townships of Trewick, in the western division of Castle Ward; the townships of Bolam, Bolam Vicarage, and Gallow Hill, in the western division of Morpeth Ward; and the townships of Belsay, Bradford, Harnham, and Shortflatt, in the north-eastern division of Tindale Ward. It is bounded on the north by Hartburn, on the west by Kirkwhelpington, on the south by Stamfordham, and on the east by Meldon and Whalton parishes. The area of this parish is 7,336 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 434; in 1811, 632; in 1821, 651; in 1831, 608; in 1841, 603; and in 1851, 634 souls. It is very fertile, and contains both coal and limestone." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].