"CLENCHWARTON is a scattered village with several neat houses, 2 miles W. of Lynn by the ferry, and 3 miles by the bridge; including within its parish 597 inhabitants, and 2,720 acres of land, exclusive of about 160 acres of the old bed of the river Ouse, now converted into pasture-ground. The soil belongs to a number of freeholders, the largest of whom are Lord George Bentinck, J.B. Monk, and John Stephens, Esqr., of Berkshire. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient cemented building, partly mantled with ivy, and sheltered on the north by the plantation of the rectory-house. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14 16s. 6d., and in 1835, at £348, is in the patronage of the widow and son of the late Rev. Fdk. Wm. Goldfrap. The son is now at college, and for him the living is now held in commendam by the Rev. Thos. T. Upwood of Terrington St. Clement." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]


The name may also be spelled Clenchwharton.


Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.

Church History

Church of St Margaret
Description and pictures.
Church of St Margaret
Services, etc.
Church of St Margaret
Pictures of the church.
Methodist Church
Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1813-1880
Archdeacon's Transcripts
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
Parish Registers
Clenchwarton people in Tilney All Saints and Tilney cum Islington

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records


Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Clenchwarton was in Wisbech Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration


Description & Travel

Clenchwarton Parish Council
Meetings, minutes, etc.
Challis, Chris
Memories of Clenchwarton.
[Colour Print, 1993]
Howard, Harry
Memories of Clenchwarton 1903-1968, the church and life on the farms.
[Clenchwarton, 1968]
Eggett, Thomas W. (editor)
Clenchwarton as it was, to the present day, 100 years, 1900-2000. A record in photographs.
[Clenchwarton, Book Committee, 2000]
Clenchwarton Post Mill
Description and history.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Clenchwarton which are provided by:




Historical Geography

Clenchwarton is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.

You can see the administrative areas in which Clenchwarton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Land & Property

Statement of Claims and Enclosure, 1796
See Walpole St Peter


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF591203 (Lat/Lon: 52.757334, 0.355768), Clenchwarton which are provided by:


Military Records

Roll of Honour
World Wars 1 and 2.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Clenchwarton became part of the Wisbech Union, and the workhouse was at Wisbech in Cambridgeshire.


These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year   Inhabited
Families Population
1801   35 47 232
1811   39 55 350
1821   81 93 456
1831   53 70 478
1841 117 -- 597
1851 133 -- 789
Year   Inhabited
Families Population
1861 133 --- 599
1871 146 160 636
1881 145 152 668
1891 138 139 608
1901 --- 128 588
1911 --- 143 628

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1851 Census
"The increase in population in Clenchwarton is referable to the temporary employment of 146 excavators upon the New Estuary, near Lynn Regis."
1841, 1851 and 1861 Censuses
The figures are from the population tables for Cambridgeshire.
1911 Census
There were 19 people in detached parts of the parish.