[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HOTHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; (Hotham house, the seat of the late Robert Christie Burton, Esq. now stands in the parish of North-Cave). 3 miles NW, of South Cave. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches for photograph); the Rev. James Stillingfleet, A. M. is the rector, and the King is the patron. Hotham was the property of the ancient family of the Hothams, now of South Dalton. A Roman road passes near this village, in a direction to North and South Newbald, Pop. 293."
"HOTHAM CARRS, 3 or 4 h. in the township and parish of Hotham; 1¾ miles WSW. of Hotham, 5 miles from South-Cave."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Hotham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hotham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hotham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE894342 (Lat/Lon: 53.796437, -0.644242), Hotham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1918 War Memorial at Hotham.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish