The Ancient Parish of BIRKIN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BIRKIN, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract (the seat of Thomas Toutill, Esq.) 4 miles NE. of Ferrybridge, 7 from Pontefract, 8 from Selby, 22 from York. Pop. 139. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £36. Patron, the Devisees of the late Rev. Thomas Wright."
"CHAPEL HADDLESEY, in the parish of Birkin, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles from Selby and Snaith, 7 from Ferrybridge. Pop. 199. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Birkin."
"EAST HADDLESEY, in the township of Chapel Haddlesey, and parish of Birkin, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles from Selby and Snaith."
"HIRST COURTNEY, in the parish of Birkin, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles S. of Selby and 4 from Snaith, 9 from Pontefract. Pop. 145."
"SMITHALLS, a single house in the township and parish of Birkin; 1¾ miles from Ferry bridge."
"TEMPLE HIRST, in the parish of Birkin, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 4 miles NW. of Snaith, 5 from Selby, 7 from Ferrybridge. Pop. 141."
"WEST HADDLESEY, in the parish of Birkin, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles from Selby, 6 from Ferrybridge; 8 from Pontefract. Pop. 293."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Birkin.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Birkin to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE533270 (Lat/Lon: 53.736672, -1.19346), Birkin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE523266) Park House
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.