Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Leyland

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

LEYLAND, a village, a township, a sub-district, a parish, and a hundred, in Lancashire. The village stands near the river Lostock, ¾ of a mile W of the Northwestern railway, and 5 miles S of Preston; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Preston, and a station on the railway. Fairs are held on 24 March and 26 Oct.; and an agricultural and horticultural meeting is held in Sept. The township comprises 3,651 acres. Real property, £13,658. Pop., 3,755. Houses, 748. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to the Crown; had then a royal hall and court of justice; and, with Worden Hall, belongs now to the Misses Farmington. Worden Hall stands about ½ a mile S of the village, in a park of more than 300 acres; and is approached through a handsome modern arch-way adjacent to the village. Golden-Hill House is the seat of T. M. Shuttleworth, Esq.; Wellfield is the seat of John Eccles, Esq.; and the Old Hall is a Tudor mansion, now converted into a farm-house. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton mills.  more ....

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)


Archives and Libraries

Leyland Library,




Civil Registration

The Register Office covering the Leyland area is Preston & South Ribble.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Leyland which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leyland to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

  • "LEYLAND, a parish in the hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 6 miles from Preston, its post town, and 4¾ N.W. of Chorley. It is within a mile of the joint station on the North-Western and Lancashire and Yorkshire lines of railway. The parish, which is extensive, contains the townships of Clayton-le-Woods, Cuerden, Euxton, Heapey, Hoghton, Leyland, Wheelton, Whittle-le-Woods, and Withnell. It is intersected by the small river Lostock, and is separated from the parish of Chorley by the river Yarrow. The river Darwin flows through the N. part of the parish, and falls into the Ribble at Walton-le-Dale. Leyland is a petty sessions town and populous manufacturing village. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton and muslin manufactures. There are extensive bleach works, giving employment to a large number of persons. The Leeds and Liverpool canal and the old north road to Lancaster pass through the parish. Wild boar hunting was formerly pursued here, and bones of the boar and elk are not unfrequently met with. Roman coins and numerous Celtic antiquities have been found here embedded in the moss about three yards below the surface. The soil consists of sand and gravel, with some peat moss. The principal crops are wheat, oats, potatoes, and turnips. There are several stone quarries and mineral alkaline springs at Whittle-le-Woods. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £1,200. The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone structure, with a pinnacled tower containing a clock and six bells. Like Westminster Abbey, it was originally built without a single pillar, but was enlarged and greatly altered in 1817, at which period a spacious nave was added. Adjoining the chancel is the private chapel of the St. Farringtons of Warden Hall, containing several monuments of that family. The windows are of ancient design. The church contains a sedilia, piscina, and a carved octagonal fort. In addition to the parish church there are six district churches, viz: St. James's, Euxton, Heapey, Hoghton, Whittle-le-Woods, and Withnell, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £200 to £141. The parochial charities produce about £600 per annum, of which £28 goes to Queen Elizabeth's free grammar school, £176 to Balshaw's charity school, £21 to Moss-side schools, and £118 to Osbaldiston's almshouses.

    (See more)

Historical Geography

In 1835 the parish of Leyland contained the townships of Leyland, Clayton le Woods, Whittle le Woods, Heapey, Wheelton, Withnell, Hoghton and Euxton.

Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.

You can see the administrative areas in which Leyland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Probate Records

For probate purposes prior to 1858, Leyland was in the Archdeaconry of Chester, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Chester are held at the Lancashire Record Office.