The Ancient Parish of BURTON AGNES
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURTON AGNES, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; (Burton Agnes Hall, the seat of Sir Francis Boynton, Bart.) 6 miles SW. of Bridlington. Here is a hospital for four poor widows, founded by the widow of the late William Boynton, Esq. and endowed with £20. 10s. per annum, and a quarter of a chaldron of coals. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St Martin, of which the Rev. Thomas Mills, is the vicar, and Mr T. A. Mills patron. -Population, 321.
The family of the Boyntons is of very great antiquity; Bartholomew de Boynton, the first mentioned in the pedigree, died seized of the manor of Boynton, from whence the family were denominated; He lived in 1067. They appear to have come into possession of the manor of Barmston, their ancient seat in this Riding, by the marriage of Henry Boynton, Esq. temp. Henry VII. The first Baronet was Sir Matthew Boynton, created in May, 1618. He served in parliament for the Borough of Hedon, in the reign of Charles I. and married Frances, the daughter of Sir Henry Griffith, of Burton Agnes, Knight and Baronet; by that marriage the manor and estates of Burton came into the Boynton family, Sir Griffith Boynton, the third Baronet being resident there in 1725; the present Baronet being the sixth, was created in 1801. The house of Burton Agnes was designed by Inigo Jones.
Here was born the Rev. William Dade, F.A.S. Rector of Barmston about the year 1740, where his father was then vicar. He had made a large and valuable collection of materials for the history and antiquities of Holderness, proposals for publishing of which, he had printed in 1783. Ill health, and variety of other perplexing engagements delayed the progress of the work; and he died at Barmston, after a short illness, August 2, 1790. See a further account of this respectable divine and antiquary, --in-Nichols' Literary Anecdotes."
"GRANSMOOR, in the parish of Burton Agnes, and wapentake of Dickering; 2¾ miles SSE. of Burton Agnes, 7 miles ENE. of Driffield. Pop; 85."
"HAISTHORPE, in the parish of Burton Agnes, and wapentake of Dickering; 1¾ miles ENE. of Burton Agnes, 4 miles SW. of Bridlington. Pop. 109."
"MOOR HOUSE, (now Oakwood Farm), a farm house in the township and parish of Burton Agnes; 1¼ miles ESE. of Burton Agnes, 7 miles from Bridlington and Driffield."
"THORNHOLME, in the parish of Burton Agnes, and wapentake of Dickering; ¾ mile ENE. of Burton Agnes, 5 miles SW. of Bridlington. Population, 94."
- Lisa Blosfelds and Doreen Laycock have take photographs of the graves in the Churchyard and Cemetery:
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burton Agnes to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA102632 (Lat/Lon: 54.052987, -0.318157), Burton Agnes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-18 Roll of Honour in Burton Agnes Church.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA128613) Burtoncarr House
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish