The Ancient Parish of EASTRINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"EASTRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 4 miles ENE. of Howden. Here is an ancient church, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), of which the king is the patron; likewise a Methodist chapel, and a free school, endowed with £30. per annum. Population, 375.
In 1727, Mr. Joseph Hewsley of this place, endowed a Free School here, with land, for teaching the poor children of the parish to read and write: annual value in 1787, £20."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Susan Butler has some census transcriptions on her Eastrington web-site.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Suan Butler has a web-page dealing with the history etc. of St. Michael's church, Eastrington.
- Transcript of the entry for Eastrington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Eastrington.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eastrington to another place.
- Susan Butler's Eastrington web-site has a brief history of Eastrington, along with histories of the school and the church etc.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE796300 (Lat/Lon: 53.760285, -0.794066), Eastrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE813280) Greenoak
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish