[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LOW CATTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 7½ miles ENE. of York. The church (see Churches for photograph), which is a rectory dedicated to All Saints, is in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont. The Rev. F. H. R. Stanhope is rector. Population 177. There is a Free Grammar School at High Catton, for teaching a limited number or scholars;"
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Photographs of the over 380 gravestones in Low Catton Churchyard with a surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Low Catton.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Stamford Bridge.
- The Methodist Church, Stamford Bridge.
- St Paul's Church, Kexby. (With short history).
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Church, High Catton (view 1). This was built in 1899 to replace a chapel built in 1810.
- The ex-Wesleyan Methodist Church, High Catton (view 2).
- St. Paul's Church, Kexby also had its own web-site, there is also some additional information about Kexby on this site.
This has now gone dead, if you know where it went, please drop me a line.
- Transcript of the entry for Low Catton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Low Catton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Low Catton to another place.
- In 1853, the township of Kexby, formerly in the parish of Low Catton, was formed into the parish of Kexby.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE705538 (Lat/Lon: 53.975467, -0.926611), Low Catton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1918 War Memorial in Low Catton Churchyard.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish