The Ancient Parish of RILLINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"RILLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 5 miles NE. of Malton. Situated on the banks of the Derwent, which is navigable from hence to the Humber for small vessels. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph); and the living which is in the gift of the king, is enjoyed by the Rev. James Carter Green. In addition to the parish church, there is here a chapel for the Independents, and another for the Methodists. A courtbaron is held here annually for the recovery of debts under forty shillings. Pop 683."
"RILLINGTON MOORS, a few farm houses in the township and parish of Rillington; 2 miles NW. of Rillington, 7 miles from Malton."
"SCAMPSTON, in the parish of Rillington, and wapentake of Buckrose; ¾ mile NE. of Rillington, 6 miles NE. of Malton. Pop. 200. (see also Churches)
The ancient family of St. Quintin has a seat here; the mansion has a handsome appearance, and the grounds are adorned with numerous plantations; an elegant stone bridge crosses a fine stream of water which runs through the park, where numerous herds of deer give animation to the prospect.
This seat of the ancient family of the St. Quintins, is at present occupied by Charles Thorald Wood, Esq. The family of St. Quintin is said to have derived its name from St. Quintin, the Capital of Lower Picardy, in France, and entered England on the Norman invasion. The name is recorded in the roll of Battle Abbey. The fifth and last Baronet of the lineage died A.D. 1795. --Scarborough Guide."
- Hudleston, N. A.(1955), Rillington, the story of "an everyday village";, Scarborough, G. A. Pindar and Son.,
- Stratford, Rev W. T. (1911), Historical notes of Rillington and Scampston, London, Thomas Baker.
- Whiting, C. E. ed. (1946), The Parish Registers of Rillington 1638-1812, Leeds, Yorkshire Archaeological Society.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Andrew's Church, Rillington.
- St. Martin's Church, Scampston.
- Railway Street Methodist Church, Rillington.
- Westgate Methodist Church, Rillington.
- Tim Owston has written a short description and history of the village of Rillington.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rillington to another place.
- In the 1880s, the chapelry of Scampston (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Scampston Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE853744 (Lat/Lon: 54.158336, -0.695232), Rillington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE865756) Scampston Hall
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish