The Ancient Parish of WAWNE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WAWNE, also spelt WAGHEN, or WAWN, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's; 6 miles N. of Hull. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small ancient edifice (see Churches for photograph), the seats of which have never been renewed, and are much corroded by time. The vicar is the Rev. Jeremiah Burn and the patron the Chancellor of the Church of York. Pop. 251."
"MEAUX, in the parish of Wawne, or Waghen, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¾ miles NNE. of Wawne, 7 miles N. of Hull. This lordship was given by William the Conqueror, to one of his officers named Gamel, born at Meaux, in Normandy, who made it his seat and peopled it with his townsmen, from whom it obtained the name of Meaux. A monastery of the Cistercian order was founded here in the year 1136, by William Le Gros, Earl of Albemarle. From the small remains of a curious Mosaic pavement of brick, the foundations of buildings are yet to be traced, and the extensive moats, or ditches, by which it was surrounded, and which are yet discoverable, it is evident that this famous monastery once displayed considerable magnificence. Population, 74."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Sutton & Wawne Museum : a family history centre situated in the Old School, Sutton (select the "Museum" link at the left when you get there).
- Photographs of the over 230 gravestones in Wawne Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Wawne in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wawne.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wawne to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA091368 (Lat/Lon: 53.816044, -0.344369), Wawne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish