[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"LOW BENTHAM, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Ewcross; 4 miles SW. of Ingleton, 9 from Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.) 12 from Settle, 15 from Lancaster, 71 from York. Pop. 2,102. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. John Baptist, in the deanry of Kirby Lonsdale, and diocese of Chester, value, £35. 7s. 8½d. Patron, T.L. Parker, Esq. The township of Bentham is divided into four quarters, viz. Low Bentham, High Bentham, Mewith, and Grasingle.
At this place was born, of poor parents, Thomas Wray, D.D. Fellow of Christ College, Cambridge, and successively chaplain to Archbishops Hutton and Secker. He was a pious, abstemious, mortified man, never married, of weak constitution, of most amiable deportment, yet a zealous reprover of vice in public and in private. He had learned too, from his master, Secker, not to despise the meanest, nor to shrink from the most disgusting offices of his functions. He died at Rochdale, February, 1778, aged 55, where a plain stone within the altar rails is erected to his memory. The Editor of Butler's Remains thus notices him:-
"While Modest Wray with silent grace, Just steals a meaning smile." Nichols' Lit. Anecdotes.
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Barnfield Smithy
- Chapel Le Dale
- Douk Cave
- Gingle Pot
- High Bentham
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]