[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WALES, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of St. Peter; 7 miles from Worksop, (Notts.) 7½ miles S. of Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield, 55 from York. Pop. 277. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. John, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £75. 1s. 2d. Patron, the Duke of Leeds."
"WALES WOOD, a hamlet in the township of Wales, and parishes of Wales and Treeton; 5½ miles from Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Wales in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Baptism Registers for Wales Parish:
- The Marriage Registers for Wales Parish:
- The Burial Registers for Wales Parish:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wales.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wales to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK480830 (Lat/Lon: 53.34173, -1.280534), Wales which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial at Wales.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SK464835) Wales Bar
- (SK457835) Waleswood
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.