"TYTHERINGTON, a parish in the hundreds of Thornbury and Henbury, county Gloucester, 4 miles W. of Wickwar, its post town, 3 S.E. of Thornbury, and 4½ S.W. of Charfield. It contains the hamlet of Itchington. The village is situated near the Gloucester and Bristol road. The soil is loamy, with a subsoil of limestone. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £300. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a Sunday-school, supported by the vicar. Mrs. P. Morris and H. Hardwick, Esq., are lady and lord of the manor, and chief landowners."
"ITCHINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Tytherington, upper division of the hundred of Henbury, county Gloucester, 2 miles S.E. of Thornbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Tytherington, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Tytherington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tytherington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tytherington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST667879 (Lat/Lon: 51.589094, -2.481622), Tytherington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)