The Ancient Parish of BOYNTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BOYNTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 2 miles W. of Bridlington. The church is dedicated to St Andrew (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a discharged vicarage, of which Sir William Strickland, Bart. is the patron. Population. 123." (There is further information for Boynton).
"CAYTHORPE, (High and Low) in the parishes of Boynton and Rudston, and wapentake of Dickering; 1¾ miles E.N.E. of Rudston, 3½ miles W. of Bridlington. Population 26."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 90 gravestones and plaques at Boynton Parish Church with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Boynton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Boynton to another place.
- For those interested in the Boynton family name, it seems that the Boyntons left Boynton around 1231. There are however Boynton family graves etc. in Barmston, Burton Agnes and other parishes (see the East Riding Parish index for links to all the parishes).
- There are several web sites dealing with the Boynton family, including one set up by Bob Boynton.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA136680 (Lat/Lon: 54.09537, -0.26445), Boynton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish