The Ancient Parish of BURTON FLEMING
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURTON FLEMING, (or North Burton) a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 3 miles S. of Hunmanby. There is here a church (see Churches for photograph), of which H. Osbaldeston, Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. Thomas Gilbank vicar and a Methodist chapel. Pop. 886."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Burton Fleming.
- Colin Hinson has transcribed the following:
- The Burton Fleming baptisms for 1538-1600.
- The Burton Fleming Baptisms for 1600-1699.
- The Burton Fleming Baptisms for 1700-1812.
- The Burton Fleming Marriages for 1540-1812.
- The Burton Fleming Burials for 1546-1812.
- The Burton Fleming Vicars Etc for 1541-1792.
- Miscellaneous Burton Fleming PR entries.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burton Fleming to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA083722 (Lat/Lon: 54.134243, -0.34395), Burton Fleming which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-18 War Memorial on the green near Burton Fleming Church.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA072733) Burton Fleming House
- (TA068718) West Field House
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish