Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act
Smallburgh Union 1869 - 1930
- 1869 Sept. - Smallburgh Union initially formed from all the old parishes in the Tunstead and Happing Incorporation.
- The old "House of Industry" became the Union Workhouse.
- This was located in Workhouse Road (off Union Road), Smallburgh, NR12 9NJ, [Map reference is TG326243].
- 1871 and 1881 Census - List of people in the Workhouse. See the Smallburgh parish page.
- 1883 - Description is in Whites directory.
- 1884 March - North Walsham joined coming from Erpingham Union.
- 1891 Census - List of people in the Workhouse. See the Smallburgh parish page.
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory has a section "Norfolk No 4 Area Guardians Committee" but old Union buildings are not mentioned.
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933
- Now mostly demolished.
Further information can be found:
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.