The Ancient Parish of POCKLINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"POCKLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles from Market Weighton, 17 from Driffield, 17 from Malton, 13 from York, and 195 from London. The places of worship in Pocklington, are the parish church (see Churches for photograph), a very plain homely structure, dedicated to All-Saints, of which the Rev. Charles Wolf Eyre, B. D. is vicar, and the Dean of York, the patron. An Independent chapel, of which Rev. Thomas Hutton, is minister; a Methodist chapel, a small Roman Catholic chapel, and a chapel belonging to the Primitive Methodists. Here is a nobly endowed Free School, for teaching the dead languages to an unlimited number of scholars, belonging to the town and neighbourhood of Pocklington, with a revenue from lands of from twelve to fourteen hundred pounds per annum. Rev, Thos. Shield, . B. D. master, Rev. Thomas Brown, sub-master, who is entitled to one-third of the profits, and Rev. David Jones, usher. There is also a National School, erected at the sole expense of Robert Dennison, Esq. of Kilnwick Percy, and very liberally supported by the gentry in the town. Average number of scholars, 75 boys and 60 girls. In 1814, an act of parliament was passed for making a navigable canal from East Cottingwith to Street Bridge, (about a mile from Pocklington) which has been completed and considerable business is now carried on in bringing to the place coal, lime, manure, and merchandize, and taking away corn, flour, timber, and other articles. The market day is on Saturday, and the races on the second of May in every year. In a gravel pit in Barnsley field, near this town, were dug up in 1763, four human skeletons; three were without coffins, the fourth was enclosed in a coffin with an urn at the head, on the outside of which were engraved several ancient characters. Population, 1962."
"MELTONBY, in the parish of Pocklington, and wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles NNW. of Pocklington. Pop. 78."
"OUSETHORPE, in the parish of Pocklington, and wapentake of Harthill, 2½ miles NNE. of Pocklington. Pop. 9."
"POCKLINGTON NEW INN, in the township and parish of Pocklington; 1½ miles SSE. of Pocklington, 5¾ from Market-Weighton, 13 from York. A Posting-house, on the road from York to Market-Weighton."
"YAPHAM, in the parish of Pocklington and wapentake of Harthill; 2¼ miles NNW. of Pocklington, 2 miles NW. of Pocklington. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) under the vicarage of Pocklington, curate, Rev. Charles Brown. Population, 114.
The Chapel of Yapham-with-Meltonby here, is a perpetual curacy, and has been served by the Vicar of Pocklington since time immemorial. No burial ground."
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Pocklington, view 1. (The Church's website is here.)
- All Saints' Church, Pocklington view 2.
- The Christian Fellowship Church, Pocklington. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Pocklington, opened in 1864 as Wesleyan Methodist. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Roman Catholic Church or St. Mary and St. Joseph, Pocklington.
- St. Martin's Church, Yapham.
- Pocklington Town Council have their own Web site, giving information about this area of the Yorkshire Wolds.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pocklington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE803490 (Lat/Lon: 53.930909, -0.778491), Pocklington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE804512) Broad Ings
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish