"BOVEY TRACEY, or South Bovey, is a small ancient town, picturesquely seated in the valley of the West Teign or Bovey river, 6 miles S.E. by S. of Moreton-Hampstead, 5 miles N.N.E. of Newton-Abbot, and 4 miles W. by S. of Chudleigh. Its parish has 1823 souls in 1841, but has now more than 2000; and contains 7962a. 2R. 14P. of land, including parts of the heath and rocky moorland hills on the eastern side of the Dartmoor Forest . . . . The parish includes many scattered houses; the small hamlets of Little Bovey and Lower Brimley, and upwards of 500A. of low, flat, peaty lands, called Bovey Heathfield, under which it got the Bovey Coal . . . This coal is used by the poor, and also at the extensive Pottery, which was established here in 1772, and is now carried on here by a Company, who manufacture coarse as well as the finer sorts of earthenware, equal in quality and design to the best Staffordshire wares. . . . The Earl of Devon owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor and borough of Bovey Tracey, formerly held by the Tracey family . . . The Parish Church (St. Thomas-a-Becket,) is a large ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, inhabitants of Wreyland in this parish were often registered at Lustleigh.