"BUDLEIGH (EAST) is a straggling village in three parts, called Lower, Middle, and Higher, pleasantly situated near Bicton Park, in the vale of the Otter, about two miles from the sea, 5 miles W.S.W. of Sidmouth, and 10 miles S.E. by E. of Exeter. Its parish contains 2620 acres and 2319 souls, including the hamlets of Great and Little Knowle, about two miles S.S.W. of the pleasant and handsome little town and bathing place of BUDLEIGH SALTERTON, delightfully situated on the sea coast at the mouth of the estuary of the Otter, nearly three miles S. from East Budleigh, and four miles E. by N. of Exmouth. . . . Great and Little Knowle are suburbs of Budleigh-Salterton, and on Park terrace, in the latter hamlet, is a small Baptist Chapel, built in 1844, by subscription. East Budleigh Church, (All Saints,) is more than two miles N. of Salterton, and is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . Poer Hayes or Duke's Hayes in this parish, was successively held by the ancient families of Poer and Duke. The large farm house on this estate, called Hayes Barton, is celebrated as the birth place of Sir Walter Raleigh . . . .." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter. Part of the Otter Valley area. Budleigh Salterton is a modern parish created 1900.